Underdunn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Taylor View Post

Sorry to hear this. Hope you're comfortable and recovering. Are you allowed visitors?
    Thanks Paul. I am allowed visitors yes, what time are you coming?

Comment

Originally posted by Underdunn View Post

Thanks Paul. I am allowed visitors yes, what time are you coming?
      Saturday afternoon with a pile of Fighting Fantasy books and some dice.

Comment

Hope your recovering Underdunn, and plenty visitors fussing around you.

Comment

Saturday afternoon with a pile of Fighting Fantasy books and some dice.
          Deathtrap dungeon. I loved ff books. I just didn't know anyone who didn't just cheat and not bother with the game. It was a case of turn to 300 for spoilers

Comment

This is a good read

Comment

Originally posted by neilold View Post

Deathtrap dungeon. I loved ff books. I just didn't know anyone who didn't just cheat and not bother with the game. It was a case of turn to 300 for spoilers
              After trying damn hard to complete Deathtrap Dungeon by the rules, I cheated, too. It was the first I remember playing that seemed unbeatable by the rules. I had that thing meticulously mapped out. A lot of the early books had a line in the introduction saying you should be able to win if you find the true path regardless of your initial dice roles. Bollocks!

Comment

I always enjoyed the ff books without the game. I found the game boring and use to just enjoy the story as a book, rather than a game. I just imagined it was me in the story rather than the game

Comment

Well I don't know about any of these books. My older brother had some of them Knightmare books that were, I assume, quite similar. But I didn't have the interest.

He had a Crystal Maze one too, that I did like though. It had Baldy on the front.
                  "even people who spoke clear English didn't undersand me"

Comment

Originally posted by neilold View Post
                    I always enjoyed the ff books without the game. I found the game boring and use to just enjoy the story as a book, rather than a game. I just imagined it was me in the story rather than the game
                    Well, once you own them you've a right to enjoy them in whatever manner suits. Otherwise they're a waste of money. I seem to remember that Ian Livingstone, who wrote some of my favourite FF books in terms of atmosphere and story but some of the most unwinnable, is quoted as saying something along the lines of he assumes the players are going to cheat, and that's why they were so unbalanced in favour of the player losing.

Of course, they're still making book form interactive fiction. Even a new Fighting Fantasy comes out every now and then, and a company I think called Tin Man makes app versions of some of the classics. I think there are even interactive books aimed at a more adult market. I've heard a book called Pretty Little Mistakes did very well, although it's aimed at a female readership. And when I say an adult market, I mostly mean they deal with themes that are more mature, but yes... also adult, especially on Kindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki the Great View Post
                      Well I don't know about any of these books. My older brother had some of them Knightmare books that were, I assume, quite similar. But I didn't have the interest.

He had a Crystal Maze one too, that I did like though. It had Baldy on the front.
                      I remember the TV shows. They were great.

Comment

I remember the TV shows. They were great.
                        I dunno if I fully understood Knightmare. I kept wondering why they didn’t just take the massive hat off, so they could see wtf they were doing. Also the beard guy looked a lot like one of my old headmasters.
                        "even people who spoke clear English didn't undersand me"

Comment

Ahh Knightmare was the best program on the telly at the time. loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki the Great View Post

I dunno if I fully understood Knightmare. I kept wondering why they didn’t just take the massive hat off, so they could see wtf they were doing. Also the beard guy looked a lot like one of my old headmasters.
                            Yeah, that big helmet that completely blocks your view is not the kind of thing most adventurers would wear. But if they took it off, all they'd see is a room with some props in, and when they get to a 'door' they have to wait a few minutes while the props are changed and they're sent to another part of the same room to 'enter' a new location. From all accounts, actually taking part in Knightmare was somewhat less thrilling than watching it on the telly.

Comment

Welcome watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion

Comment

"Have a break, be happy"

Comment

Working...
                                X