The Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smurfy View Post
    I thought immortals don’t die. Rest in peace, your majesty.
    I'll probably regret asking this smurfy, but why do you refer to the queen as immortal?

Comment

I am an old punk, I am indifferent to the queen. What I do feel though is how strange it all seems. We now have a king. I've never lived in the time of a king and it seems odd. Especially it being Charles as well, who we've all really ever known as a prince, and is often subject to ridicule, but now he's our king, and therefore, more important, as far as lineage goes, more important and higher ranking than the queen was. Plus he comes into the position at a much later stage in his life. All seems a bit odd really. One thing I am not looking forward to is the endless months of media coverage were going to now get going on and on and on about every little detail of her life to the point of total overexposure to a ridiculous degree.

Comment

Originally posted by neilold View Post

I'll probably regret asking this smurfy, but why do you refer to the queen as immortal?
        You ever heard of Henry VIII ? Yes, you have. Immortal isn’t just a literal term.

Comment

Originally posted by Underdunn View Post

You don’t, your not British.
          you better not be calling me a mexican

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd950722-14cd-469f-9b2d-1aafe3ca3043.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	3380

Comment

to the point of total overexposure to a ridiculous degree.
            That’s filthy Neil
            "even people who spoke clear English didn't undersand me"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki the Great View Post
              That’s filthy Neil
              Filthy thoughts exist purely in the mind of those filthy in the first place

Comment

I thought she is immortal, but in fact she WAS.
                Last edited by Smurfy; 09-11-2022, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Been taking the dog out in her Union Jack harness (that she had for the jubilee haha) and also she is black for the occasion, as usual.

I’m sad. I became fond of the Queen, in recent years especially, and certainly respected her. Her covid address for example. It was moving af and if you don’t get it, you have no soul. Or your cup is overflowing more than you realise.

I do not want the monarchy to be abolished, as I’ve said, I believe, a few times in the history of this forum. Cos of her apolitical stance, but total power of veto should she feel we were in serious danger. So far, we haven’t had a dictator rise up. But if we didn’t have someone above the government with that kind of power, the door would be wide open for someone with dangerous intentions. And ffs stop with the “colonisation” nonsense and look into what she ACTUALLY did and the reasons why most (older especially) ethnic people loved her.

Let’s see how our new monarch gets on. I have hope. King Charles won’t be Prince Charles and I think he’s grown as a person and into his role.

Comment

I was always envious of your Queen and monarchy. Speaking as someone from a republic, having a monarch is great imho. Your head pf state is someone apolitical and above all politics, someone being prepared for the role for most of their life, and therefore someone able to fulfil certain standards.
                    Having a monarch is unifying. The Queen was there for everyone and even at the worst of times. You knew she’s there, you knew she has to respect the same covid rules or whatever. She was with you.

Similarly, the president here has almost none power, his role is mainly representative. But he is being elected by the people, so he must be a political figure. It’s very hard then to be the president of whole nation. Plus democracy means a drunk arrogant idiot might be chosen as the president, which happened. In the UK, even if a total jerk is elected as PM, he’ll still have the monarch above him.

Comment

I was watching an american commentator yesterday discussing the queen. He made a point I'd never really thought about before, he said that Presidents are pretty much unasnwerable to anybody and are effectively Kings themselves the moment they get in. Whilst PM's are top of the tree here they still have to see the monarch once a week and are generally intimitaded by her, have to respect her, have to explain themselves to her. And whilst she never tends to involve herself, her very presence keeps them in their place and doesn't let it all go to their head.

Comment

I often think that my feelings about monarchy are ambivalent. On the one hand, in principle I dislike the idea of an unelected head of state, its connection with past imperialism (not that that reflects the current institution or the current monarch), and I feel no emotional response to the pomp and ceremony (although I accept it's important to many and to the institution of monarchy). On the other hand I know democracy is fragile, and for all our best efforts to elect someone appropriate to the job, we're restricted to electing the kinds of people with the ambition and perhaps naive ideals that make them want the job. They're not always the kind of people to whom we should give too much power. I think our current system is an excellent balance.

Comment

We’ve got a preserved history, for example with the coronation that’s always been identical to the last etc. It connects us to everyone who lived before us. Our culture has evolved to become a lot more sympathetic and realising our mistakes. Things that happened looong before we were alive wouldn’t happen today. The world was different. We’ve come a long way.

We’re not America. This is our culture and its different from theirs. Why the constant obsession with being America from so many? They’ve got a far worse and far more recent history with unsavoury actions than us. They still haven’t done much to integrate the Natives beyond “act like us cos we’re better than you”.

Embrace your culture, the positive parts. Don’t run from it.

​​​​​…says me who spent the majority of my life trying to lose the Romany Gypsy label. But that’s different. Also I’m not. Just one parent is. Same as Underdunn has one German parent, but isn’t German himself. So shutup or I’ll have your roof tiles and Underdunn will round up some Jews.

Comment

It’s strange. You see people say there’s no unity in anything anymore, especially not here in the uk apparently. Yet looking around, I see a different story. One of unity.

I can only conclude that those who insist there isn’t, don’t actually want unity. They want everything exactly how they want it. Feel entitled to it even. Impossible to please and they will never be happy. Whilst those voices may have been loud, they do not reflect the majority at all. They’re just those pissy relatives you don’t like much, cos they never ever stop moaning and making it all about them.

That #NotMyKing pic that’s been floating around is hilarious. I’m sorry to break it to you, but yes he is haha. And your hashtag won’t change that. Also..we’re not America and he isn’t Trump. And Trump hasn’t been the president for some time now, so maybe it’s time to get over that a bit, yeah? And look at the huge mess Biden has made whilst you were still yelling at Trump. I didn’t like him either, but he’s gone now. Get a grip.

Also imagine the DAY after your mum died AND your first day of your new job and some smelly sour-faced eejits turned up spluttering at you that you’re nobody and will never be welcome in the workplace? You’d cry like a bitch and you know it.

I won’t go into it all right now, but I’ve seen a shift in attitudes, particularly in issues that were making me afraid to live a normal life. Hearing more and more people say that something isn’t right. Seeing it with my own eyes. But I’ll talk about that another day, probably. And now I’m hopeful, seeing huge displays of unity like this, that the world maybe hasn’t gone quite as insane as social media etc would imply. People waking up.

Though sadly the Queen will not wake up. But I’m grateful for all she did.

Comment

Stop looking at the world through Twittter and you’d reach much the same conclusion. Reaility is underrated.

Comment

A beautiful send off it’s been. This Kingdom is truly United

Comment

Working...
                                X